How does verification work?
Once you’ve opened your transaction with TrendsPay, we’ll need to verify your identity, usually with some photo ID, proof or address, and/or a picture of you holding that ID. It usually takes about 30 minutes.
The way we verify you depends on a few things:
- The amount you send
- When you send larger amounts, like 80,000 USD or more, we might need to see additional documents that show how you got the money.
- When you send smaller amounts, we’ll usually verify your identity.
- The currency you send
- Some countries require some proof of identities to send any amount.
- Some currencies require further identification. For example, sending US dollars requires an online banking log in.
- How many transfers you’ve made
- While we might only verify your identity at first, we might need to verify your address later on.
Sometimes, we need to ask for additional documents once a transfer has started. Rest assured our team will work tirelessly to verify these documents as soon as possible to get your money moving again.
Other times, we can automatically verify you when you make a bank transfer. If your transfer comes from your own bank account, and your name there matches with the name on your TrendsPay transactions, we consider this a first form of identity confirmation. You may not need to do ID or address verification in this situation.
We can only do this for some currencies, and if you send below 15,000 EUR. We can’t do this for business accounts, either.
What types of documents does TrendsPay accept?
Everything on the document you share should match the information you give to TrendsPay. Make sure the photo isn’t blurry or covered, so we can see all the info. If there’s information on the back of your document, we’ll need to see that, too.
A valid ID document can be:
- Passport (photo page only)
- If your document was issued in Nigeria, we only accept passports or the new type of Nigerian national cards
- National ID card
- Photo driver’s licence (except New Zealand residents sending NZD)
A valid proof of address document can be:
- Utility bills: gas, electric, or landline phone (no mobile phone bills)
- A bank or credit card statement (photo/scan of a physical letter or PDF of statement)
- A council tax bill, or a HMRC notification
- Vehicle registration or tax
- Photo driving licence showing your address and expiry date
- Any other government or financial institution-issued document
How does selfie verification work?
We sometimes ask customers for selfie verification. That means uploading a picture of yourself (a selfie) while holding your ID. You can find out more about selfie verification here.
How long does verification take?
If we ask to verify you after your transfer is in progress, we’ll work get it done within 30 minutes. Once we’ve successfully verified you, we’ll automatically resume your transfer.
To avoid delaying your transfer, we recommend getting verified before you set up a transfer. When you do this, we’ll get it done within 1 working day. Once we’ve successfully verified you, we’ll let you know via email and contact you by phone.